Tuesday 12 June 2012

Our Furnace: Step 1

The first process in building our furnace is building the outer casing which will end up being lined with the home made refractory.


I started with a metal pipe, roughly 10 1/2'' in diameter and 1/8'' thick. I  cut the pipe down to 14 inches in height with an oxy-acetylene torch (zip cut would work fine).
 (This is not the Same Pipe I Used)

Next I found a metal plate for the bottom of the casing also around 1/8'' thick. I set the pipe onto the metal plate and welded the plate to the pipe.

Next I built the cover at the top. From the same plate I marked out a circle 10 1/2'' with a  smaller circle '' in diameter. I cut the cover out with the oxy-acetylene torch.




The tools you will need:

  • Grinder 
    • zipcut
    • Grinding disc
  • Welding machine
    • welding rods
  • Oxy- acetylene torch or plasma torch
The grinder is for cleaning excess weld, cleaning up your cuts, and cutting the small pipes

The welding machine is foe making any welds

the torch is for cutting the larger pipe, and the cover


We will take a picture of where we are at and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment